Thursday, August 21, 2008

Getting the Primer On It

Moving day! I was able to get my main man, Robbie Hoskins down to direct the painting operation for this little beast. Again, I am grateful to SIU's Aviation Technology department for allowing me to use the facilities. In this case, it is there brand new paint booth.


After a week of sanding the epoxy wipe, I was ready for Rob and his magic paint gun. First, we had to tow it over to the AvTech hangar. Rob couldn't really believe it when I told him how were going to do this.


A little last minute sanding was in order.


We warmed up by prepping and shooting primer on the tail cone and the upper and lower cowl.

Now we had to figure out how to handle the fuselage. With the assistance of several AvTech students we lifted the plane and placed it on a large wooden dolly they had laying around. A few screws fixed it into place.

It was really great having Rob help and he really knows what he is doing. We finished the second day with two coats of primer on the cowling and tali cone, and one on the fuselage!

No comments: