Wednesday, September 29, 2010

This Year's Field of Dreams

I was happy to be able to attend this years Tandem Wing Field of Dreams, in Beatrice, Nebraska this year. The plane's systems seem to have pretty much stabilized and I just went through the annual condition inspection with no major issues. The weather looked fairly good, with the exception of a 25 kt headwind at 4,000 ft.

The flight was pleasant and uneventful. I invented my own personal SPOT tracker on the way. I just hit the "nearest airport button" on my GPS then texted it to my wife. She could then Google the identifier and see where I was - kind of.

I got to Beatrice about 1:30 local time and I was the first plane there and was greeted by Alan Thayer sporting his traditional green shorts and video camera. I wonder what he does with all that tape.


I had decided it was about time I gave a few rides and there are a few guys who are approaching time to make their first flights. I always worry about this, so I feel it is my obligation to demonstrate my birdie and give them a feel (respect) for what they are getting into.

Rides went to Joseph Snow (2nd ride), and Jerry Brinkerhuff, Sanjay Dhall, Dan Yeager (webmaster for Quickheads.com and the new QBA newsletter editor) and Alan Thayer.



I messed up the last application of my race numbers so this time I enlisted the help of a professional.


It was definitely a low-key event and I'm sure the fewer number of planes and people is the reason. We had a nice dinner at the local American Legion and that was fun. Then came the inevitable group shot.



Doug didn't have a High Time award this year, but I somehow managed to pick up the furthest distance traveled award.

There was talk of moving the venue for next year and I agree. A different place could freshen things up a bit.

Here is Doug Humble carting the Brothers Johnson and Honey Lamb.


The ride home was fun, I was fairly low much of the way due to ceilings, but the visibility was better than 10 miles, so no problem.

Glad I went.

1 comment:

Pasha said...

Thanks for report. I also have browsed among all photos of it at Quickheads.

One year, one day I'll participate. One day I'll participate...