Thursday, June 09, 2011

After the Sawsall - Snorkels and Oil Coolers

I thought I'd throw out a few photos so you can see what I'm up to.

I dug out the Sawsall again, this time to chop off my beloved intake snorkels. I put in a lot of hours on those things - oh well. I have been having trouble with oil cooling and I bought a couple of coolers to try and install. But, I thought, the oil cooler will have to divert some air from cooling the cylinders and my #1 cylinder gets hot enough as it is. So, I thought, if I install the oil cooler and the cylinder temps get higher - then what? I 'll tell you what - I would next remove the snorkels.

So going around the whole process, I decided I may as well perform the snorkel circumcision, as it were.

I'll let the photos do most of the talking.

Here is what it looked like - pre-Sawsall.


Used some two-part foam to glue a block in place to the intake.



Shaped the block so it looks like something.


Close to finishing carving.


Glass the form, let it cure, then dig out the foam.

Trim to approximate the cowl.

Cut a hole in the cowling.

There was some more trimming and fitting, which I don't have photos of. I also took the Sawsall to the two snorkels in the inlet.

Did it help? I believe it helped a lot.



No comments: