Sunday, August 04, 2013

2013 Mt. Vernon 100

As you can see, I seem to have missed posting anything in the past year.  At this year's Oshkosh, several people told me they read this blog, so I should get something up in writing.

About two weeks before the 2013 AirVenture Cup Race Eric Whyte called me and asked if I would put together a short SARL race, the day before the AVC race.  At the time, I was in charge of publicity for a Commemorative Air Force event we were having here in southern Illinois, but what the heck.  How could I say no?
So, I quickly hashed out a course and started working on the race materials.  It was a short 126 mile race, with turn points at local airports and at both ends of Rend Lake. My organizing effort was kind of slap dash, but with the assistance of the AVC crew and local volunteers, we got the job done.  We had 24 racers, and it was well received.

This was the first time I've done a SARL with another Quickie.  Nathan Peck brought his Rotax powered single place Quickie, which was fun to have. 

Here is the course and race results for the 2013 Mt. Vernon 100:  http://sportairrace.org/sarl/node/386



A real highlight for me was taking AVC race director Eric Whyte along for the race. Eric said he had been wanting a ride in my plane for many years, and this seemed like the ideal time.  Our speed for the race was 211.91 mph, so I would have to say his extra didn't make much of a difference.  Fortunately, I made one of my best landings of the year.

So, we ran a no-frills down and dirty race, and all had a lot of fun. I wouldn't doubt that Eric would want to repeat the SARL race next year.

As always, racing is about the people. (and machines).

Texas was well represented with Bobbie Bennett & Alan Crawford.
AnnElise Flickinger Hopkins Bennett got lots of pictures.  AnnElise raced with Bobby in the family Bonanza.
First timers and old timers.
AnnElise documenting some fancy cowling voodoo.


No comments: