Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Rebuild Begins

A bit of a progress report here.  Again, I want to thank EVERYONE who has been helping.  Fantastic!  Because of all of you, there is no way I could close the chapter on my Quickie.

Amputee

So far, I have located a virgin Q-2 kit, firewall aft, with spars and foam.  BTW, I will sell the parts I don't use, but that will be a few months down the line.



I put a dial indicator on my crankshaft flange and the runout was 0.001". The TCM spec is  0.000" - 0.005".  This is really good news.  The engine is likely fine, but I am going to have Bob Malechek do a teardown inspection anyway.



I sent Craig Catto some pictures of my prop, that he just refinished for me earlier this year. I asked about possible repairs vs. the cost of a replacement.  Craig said it was time for me to upgrade to his newer design, and that he would sponsor a new prop for me! Another WOW!

What you can't see in this photo is the 6" delamination.

It looks like I'll be able to use the SIU Aviation Technologies facilities over the winter.  The hangar is heated, so work should be pretty much uninterrupted.  From time to time, I will be able to enlist students in the project and they'll get a little practical experience that they could include on a resume.

Looks like I'll be using this space in the Jet Engine lab at SIU's Aviation Technologies.

I'm also getting big help from Chapter 277, C-Rod, Charlie Johnson, Mike Bergen, Dan Yeager, Harry Fenton, Pat McGuire and Terry Crouch.  Really, the list goes on and on.

So folks, it looks like I'm on the way.





No comments: