Friday, May 02, 2008

Fix an Oops!



After the wing was mounted, I found there was a slight upward bow in the outermost portion. I agonized about it for a long time, but was fortunate enough to talk about it to Mike Bergen. Turns out he had the same condition and that it was easy to fix.

I started by marking the upper wing, then simply slit it with my Dremel. Using a hack saw blade, I scored the foam all the way through to the lower skin.

Next, I stuck a couple of tongue depressors in the slit to open it enough to take the bow out of the trailing edge. It wasn't much!

I filled the wound with TAP 30, expanding foam from Aircraft Spruce. By the way, DO NOT use the two part foam from Wicks. It is really lousy, weak and crumbly.



Made a standard BID repair over the foam and the job's all done!

No comments: