Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Induction & injector placement


It's finally time to start installing the Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system. The plan is to use a Real World Soultions electronic controller. For redundancy the RWS EC-3 controller has an "A" side and a "B" side. I will have five fuel injectors - one on each intake tube ("A" system) and a single one on the throttle body ("B" system). The engine will normally operate on the "A" system and "B" will be used if something bad happens and I need to get on the ground safely.

I am using an automotive racing throttle body from Jenvey, which has a provision to mount an injector on it.

I formed the intake manifold using blue foam, which I covered with water soluble drywall paste and then mold release. First I glassed the tube itself with 3 BID. I tried vacuum bagging it, which seemed okay. After cure I dug out all the foam and the inside was pretty smooth. The flanges were floxed in place and later I used 2 BID to secure the flange to the tube. After all that was done, I trimmed it and drilled the mounting holes.


I may not stay with this design, the sharp elbow may not be the most efficient, but it will be a good baseline for me.


















Click on the photos for a larger view.









The other big challenge is getting the fuel lines to all the injectors.














No comments: