Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sam the Plumber

Cold weather continues to hamper progress. Last week it was 19 degrees F and the hangar was probably 23F.

To me, this electronic fuel injection is a big deal to install, but very interesting. Right now, I still don't have have all the plumping fittings that I need.

It seems like I always have the wrong ones. I recently sat down and ordered everything I thought I'd need. I used a couple of sources, Summit Racing and Ebay. When everything arrived I found a major screw-up. I ordered -6 fittings, instead of -4. Rats! You ever try and return anything through Ebay?

Yesterday, I found that even the different brands aren't always compatible. I had accumulated Earls's fittings, Summit Racing's own brand and Aeroquip. I find that the Earl's fittings don't like the Aeroquip braided hose. From here on out I will try to use the Aeroquip, but man, they are proud of their stuff! Expensive!

The fuel system is a closed loop. Here is the path:

From the header tank
through the shutoff valve
through the 40 micron gascolator
through the fuel pump
through the 10 micron filter
through the left firewall
past five fuel injectors
returned through the right firewall
through the fuel pressure regulator and
back into the header tank.

There are probably 30 joints where fuel can leak, this part is a challenge.

Speaking of fuel injection, through a rotary engine news group, I came across a link on rolling your own fuel injection controller, from Paul Lamar. While it may look promising, it apparently hasn't been built yet. There is also some information about Klaus Savier's fuel injection system.

No comments: