Saturday, October 24, 2020

Adding a Better Roll Trim

Roll trim is very good to have in the Q-200. Not only do you need to compensate for the weight of a passenger, but roll trim needs change with your speed.  For instance, I notice a big difference when I slow down to landing pattern speeds.

For the longest time, I had the turnbuckle mod on the elevator push rods.  This worked okay, but it was a little hard to adjust, and I found mine seemed to change with the airframe vibration and I'd had to keep on adjusting it.  I was corresponding with Mathew Curcio and he shared his method, and like a true innovator, I copied it.  I really like it.  It's easy to adjust and it and it doesn't change on it's own.  If someone wanted to take it a step further, a guy could install some kind of motor and control it with a switch. 

It's a single rod with the knob fixed to one end and a washer to the other. I installed a couple of phenolic bearing blocks in each bulkhead and also a friction brake, similar to the plan's elevator trim brake.

I've been using setup this for about a year now and I really like it. I'm not going to describe how to make it, the photos should speak for themselves. Click on the photos for an enlarged view. Please post any questions in the Comments.








No comments: