Sunday, March 13, 2011

Whoa! Hold on there Partner


Time to fire up the Sawsall -I have decided to go another route.

Before I made all my mods, the oil temperature was decent. Now, I have a hot #2 cylinder on climb out and high oil temps.

So, why the difference?

  • New wing? No.
  • New Dynon EFIS? No.
  • New paint? No.
  • Fuel injection? Probably not
  • New oil tank? Maybe, but probably not.
  • Longer intake snouts? Maybe, but probably not.
  • Inlet snorkels? Most likely candidate.

Why? Well, they can obstruct the amount of air reaching the cylinders, especially on climb out. On the other hand, I did a differential pressure check across the upper and lower deck of the engine compartment, and it seemed to be in line with recommendations.

If I install the coil cooler I will have to divert cowling air for it which would probably make the hot cylinders even worse.

So, I am going to backtrack and remove the snorkels and install a standard type of induction inlet in the lower cowl. Yes, that will mess up the paint job, but so be it.

After I have done this work, I may have to install the cooler, but at least I should have more air available.

Just call me Mr. Glutton F. Punishment


1 comment:

BobMO said...

Sam,
I've often wondered if adding an upper lip to the cooling air intake (Like a 57 Chevy headlight) might add more cooling air on climbout. 1/4" leading edge should equal 5% more area.