Saturday, October 25, 2008

All Things Electrical

I've been trying to concentrate on all of the electrical items from the firewall aft. This is cool, since I am actually bolting parts on the airframe, and the piles of parts in boxes are getting smaller.

With the exception of the wiring, I have the instrument panel largely complete. The Biggies are; handheld GPS dock for my old Garmin GPSMap196, Dynon D180, ICOM A210 Com., Transponder, and RWS ECU programming panel. You will also notice about 20 pounds of switches, used to control the ignition/injection/fuel pumps. As always, click on the photo for more detail.
On the backside of the panel, you can see two fuse blocks, a couple of diode sets and a couple of switching relays.

Throughout the airframe, I've also installed the engine and battery busses and contactors, the voltage regulator and filter capacitor and the big ammeter shunt device.

Soon, I'll get some preliminary wiring done on the panel, then get it permanently installed.

The biggest challenge, right now, is sizing the batteries. My load analysis shows that I'll need about 13 amps to keep this thing in the air. To make my system redundant, I'll need a backup battery capable of delivering 13 amps for a half hour. Yeauch!

I figured out how and where they should go, I just hate adding all that weight.

Sandy said I should just eat less and get some exercise and not worry about the battery.

1 comment:

Paul said...

have you considered a braille battery? built for motor racing they are about 80% stronger than an odysey for the same weight.
Paul, Brisbane Australia.