Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Now - Where was I?

Time to get back to the fun stuff. While I was waiting for the paint to dry I did get some other work in on the aft side of the firewall. Specifically, I'm working on the instrument panel, location of the batteries, and getting the fuel system in.

Because I'm using fuel injection, I will need a fuel pump to boost the fuel to about 45 psi. It is a closed loop system, meaning, the fuel is in constant circulation as it's filtered, boosted and regulated. The pump and filter package is mounted to the fuselage wall, just aft of the pilot.

I chose Walbro pumps and I have a second as a backup. Fuel leaves the header tank via the black fuel line and goes to an aft mounted 70 micron gascolator. Then through the fuel pump, through a 10 micron filter, then through the aluminium tubing to the firewall. After making the circuit around the engine, it returns back through the firewall and is delivered to the fuel pressure regulator. After the regulator, the excess fuel is dumped back into the header tank.

One of the biggest challenges was bending the aluminum tubing, especially the 1/2" stuff. It was tough even finding the right bender. Fortunately, I was again able to tap into SIU AvTech and got hold of Professor Billy Cheek. Billy used to bend tin for the Air Force and pulled me out of the deep hole I'd gotten myself into.

The photos are showing the work in progress. Click on 'em to see 'em bigger. Please excuse the dust.










Today I actually applied power to the fuel pumps and pressurized the system. For testing purposes I took it to 80 psi, but I think I will normally run it at 45 psi. The test was a great morale boost!

No comments: