Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Got It ! - I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Finally... I know what was causing my woes (besides dain bramage). How long have I been working on this rough engine problem? Two months? Three months? Four?

The problem was finally traced to vibration of the bracket that holds the pickup sensors.

Now, how did I come to that conclusion?

Several of my advisers suggested getting my hands on an oscilloscope (see the previous post). After I sent out the results of that test, two experts said that my problem was the variation in amplitude in the signal - not a phase shift, and was most likely caused by vibration.


I got hold of Don Bartlett (who doesn't like me very much) and he welded a couple of gussets onto the new bracket made by Phil Lankford and Jeff Doddridge, in California.


When I first fired it up, I could tell that things were better, but still not 100%. It ran well on the mag, but not on the electronic ignition, but the fuel injection seemed fine. Fortunately, I had experience with this and figured it was just dirty spark plugs.

I let the thing cool off for an hour, pulled and cleaned the automotive plugs, then stuck them back in.

When I fired it up it ran just great! Wow!!! Did I say great? I really meant fantastic! I brought it up all the way to 2,370 RPM, which I hadn't seen in a long, long time! There was still a slight roughness when running on the electronic ignition, but nothing like before. I think I need some bracing of the sensor bracket, but at least I know what to do!

I want to thank all you guys who were helping me on this frustrating, teeth gnashing, hair pulling episode. I'm going to take a couple of days off for a Hoskins family reunion, but I'll be back at it on Tuesday.

Thanks again, all!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations - lesson to be learned by all.

Hindsights a marvellous thing Lynn's sensor bracket does look more substantial.

You would have thought Tracy would suggest making sure there is no flex in the sensor mount ( bet he will now)

out of interest are you going to try the 6" timing wheel and confirm that you had two problems?

Anyway it must be a high (pun intended) to be very close to getting back in the air to test all of those modifactaions. Well done. By the way the plane looks great.

Clive C G-BXOY Q235

Anonymous said...

Great news Sam! Feel a little better now do you?!? I'm glad you're making progress again.

Hope to see you flying this year! (no more high time awards for me!).

Paul A. Fisher
Q-200, N17PF