Saturday, July 19, 2014

I Like My Fillets Medium Rare

One time consuming and important job is installing the fillets.  Naturally things weren't quite the same fit with the new canard and elevators, so I had to adapt the old fuselage fillets to the new desired positions.

The first one was on the belly, where the canard fit into the fuselage.


I salvaged what was left of the old panel I had cut off after the old canard was removed.  It was pretty hacked up from Mr. Sawzall, but enough to work with.


I didn't capture quite all the steps, but you get the idea.  First we glued the panel in place with flox, just enough to establish the position.  Then I took a thin slab of foam, slathered it with two-part foam, then jammed it into place.  The two-part foam has pretty well cured in 30 minutes, so you can start working it right away.


Some easy sanding, and it's ready for glass. Since this is non-structural, it only gets one layer of BID fiberglass. I also applied the removable peel ply.


 This shot shows the glassed panel, after the peel ply has been removed.  You might not know it, but I think it turned out pretty good.


Now it's time for the canard fillets, same basic process.  Add foam, sand to shape, then cover with one BID of glass.


At the training edge of the fillet, I glued a slab of foam with two-part, to the existing fillet.  Over the canard, I made a little tunnel out of cardboard, then poured the foam in.


For the fillets, I have a two foot cardboard tube covered with 36G sandpaper that I use to make the desired shape.


After fiberglassing and peel ply, it looks halfway decent.


 By the way, here is a picture of my shop in the hangar.  Just thought I'd throw that in.  Not very organized, but I get by.





No comments: