Saturday, August 22, 2009

Eleven and Holding

So, as of yesterday I have 11 flights since rebuild. Yesterday's was only a half hour.

I have several issues to address, but the most pressing is high oil temps. For years, I was a happy camper with oil temps and I strongly felt that a properly cowled and baffled O-200 would not need an oil cooler. Unfortunately, that changed with my new setup and I think the primary issue is with the new composite sump. The old oil tank was a big bulky piece of steel that was a marvelous heat sink.

My new sump doesn't conduct heat for beans and it is more much compact. Now, I get about 20 minutes of flight before the oil is dancing around 225F. (OAT of 57F).

I tried installing one of those finned heat sinks over my oil filter, then built a cooling shroud for it with a 1-1/2" hose leading up to it. Unfortunately, when I flew yesterday, it didn't seem to help a bit.

So now, I guess I'll be exploring the oil cooler option.

Rats.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sam, I've fought hot oil for many years. The thing that had the greatest impact was cowl EXIT area. Until I opened the lower cowl, I just couldn't the temps down. Bruce Crain used a separate exit for the air off his oil cooler using louvers in the lower cowl. You might check the difference in pressure between the lower cowl and static. Just a thought.

- Paul Q-200, N17PF