Saturday, August 01, 2009

A Few More Flights

I am now up to six flights since the big rebuild. I had a big one yesterday - up for over an hour, which is a lot for someone who is expecting (fearing) the engine to quite any minute. Actually, I'm getting a little more confidence and think this may work out.

Much of the time has been spent fine tuning the mixture mapping for the EC3 and that is getting better. I also took care of the roll trim issue, by adjusting the length of the elevator push rods.

Here is what the mixture mapping looks like. As you can see, I have more tweaking to do. Click on it for a larger image. Get it?



I bounced the first three landings, but the last three have been better, so I am coming along. C-Rod says, even though any landing you can walk away from is a good one - you get extra points if you can reuse the airplane.

I am generally tooling around at lower throttle settings, around 2,300 RPM, since I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. The oil temperature seems to be holding around 200-205F and I need to work on that.

Today, at wide open throttle (WOT) I got about 2,800RPM. I flew my last AirVenture Cup race at 3,050 RPM, so I have big work there. I am going to try all other means, but I believe the handwriting is on the wall to change back to a straight in-line induction system. Of course that means more design and more fiberglass and more painting. Yeauch.

As far as speeds go, I think I may not be too bad. Today at 3,100 feet, I briefly held 2,620 RPM with 26" MAP and got 159 mph IAS. The Dynon's displayed TAS was 167. I still need to check airspeed calibration, but I think those figures might be a little better than before.

I really need to get the RPMs over 3,000 to see what I have wrought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam

I'm happy to see you're getting things sorted. It looks like you've come to the same conclusion.

That the engine inlet looks restrictive, I sent a post asking for some pics of the inlets to get an idea how you bleed of air for the engine that got lost and with this set up the sender doesn't get a copy either so couldn't resend.

If you're going to bite the bullet and change the cowl have a look at http://www.canardzone.com/members/nickugolini/ mods it looks like he has a 0200ish inlet spider turned though 90 degrees IMHO something similar with a forward facing ram would be a hot set up, you could try changing the spider by 90 it may be possible to bolt your throttle directly to the spider or with a short adaptor if the bolts don't line up. And keep the forward part the same avoiding altering you cowl straight away.

I know the 90 elbow on a inlet is bad news (nice dissertation on the Ellison web site.

Also you don't appear to be running an air filter, IMHO bad idea I have a conical K&N on my Q235 on a ram air installation works great and takes up hardly any space I would be happy to e-mail photos if you want?

Hope you find something useful in this?

Clive G-BXOY

Sam Hoskins said...

I couldn't find the spider mod on Nick's site. Could you point me to it?