Sunday, March 09, 2008

Canard Fillets



One of the aerodynamic clean-ups on my list was the fillets where the canard comes up to the fuselage. I wanted to smooth out the airflow around this area, and I also wanted to cover up the slot gap that allows you to remove the canard.

After the plane was flipped over, I ground down the paint in the fillet area and cut off the old fillets. The first photo shows a paper mock-up, taped in place. You can click on a photo to see a larger image.

Then, using expanding foam (second photo), I built up the area. I use foil, cardboard, paper, duct tape; just anything that can keep the foram in place while it's expanding.

Time for my trusty Milwaukee Sawzall for the initial carving. I also use hacksaw blades and sander blocks. I just kind of keep on trimming until it looks good.

Get some glass on it and we're good to go. I also made aluminum cover plates to cover the slots.




No comments: