Saturday, March 08, 2008

Electronic Fuel Injection & Ignition

A couple of years ago, Lynn French blazed new territory and installed an EFI system in his Tri-Q. From the research and safety point of view, Lynn did it right. He kept his carburetor and installed the fuel injection on top of it. I decided to build on his work and jump in wit both feet.

Lots and lots of parts were ordered. First I placed the order for the RWS EC2 engine controller. I'm not going to list everything here, but there is A LOT to pull together.

With the help of Jeff Sell, in Wisconsin I put together the new intake tubes with the injector bosses welded in.



This shows the injector and the fuel connection.












Lynn had simply used the carburetor as the TB. I found one from an English racing supplier, Jenvy. This TB also has a port for an injector. The EFI controller has redundant A/B systems. My primary system will use the injectors mounted on the intake tubes. The back-up system will use the single injector mounted on the throttle body itself.









The next item was the trigger wheel which tells the controller the crankshaft position. Lynn provided a source, I would up getting a smalle, 6" diameter wheen and had it machined. The wheel was about 1/8" thick, so I had the machinist reduce the thickness in the middle, to preserve the amount of grip between the prop lugs and the propeller.



I also had to source high pressure fuel pumps, hoses, injectors, and a bunch of other stuff. This will be challenging and fun.

I am still waiting for the controller from RWS.


No comments: