Saturday, March 08, 2008

Electronic Fuel Injection not recommended for Qs

Klaus Savier runs the AirVenture Cup race at about 254 mph, with his O-200! This year Klaus gave a forum at Oshkosh. He was telling the audience how great fuel injection was and the great efficiency that he got out of the engine. He said when he slows down to 150 kts. he is approaching 100 mpg!

Of course I asked Klaus if he was going to make the EFI available as a product. He said that he was doing fine with the electronic ignition systems and didn't want to incur the liability of selling systems that have 40 psi fuel in the engine compartment.

Naturally, I was quite disappointed and naturally, I decided to make my own.

Having gotten into this process of having an all electric airplane and then having an electronic fuel injection, I better understand Klaus' concern. First, you need a bullet proof electrical system. Not just for today, but for the next umpteen years your creation will be in the air.

Then there is the fuel system. You have to have a great throttle body. You have to have a high pressure fuel pump and a back-up. You have lots of extra plumbing. You have fuel injectors, you have lots of extra fuel line connections in the engine compartment. You have a fuel regulator. You have to have a better fuel filtration system. You have to have a bullet-proof electronic fuel controller and sensors. There are other sensors, too.

Then there is the electrical system. This system will draw five to seven amps in normal flight. That means five to seven amps to keep it in the air. Below that and the fan stops.

Personally, I feel like I am on the edge with this project. I want to do it, and I can do it, and I will do it, but it is not easy and there are a lot of engineering challenges.

For all of these reasons I would STRONGLY urge the first-time Q-200 builder to not to attempt an EFI system. Use the good old MA3-SPA carb. Use a single mag with an electronic system and work into it slowly. Learn about the foibles of your electrical system. Learn how to fly the plane. After you get competent, then start fooling with it - but please, not before your first flight.

No comments: