Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Composite Oil Sump is 99.4% Complete

Don't try this at home!

There were just a few things to attend to for the oil sump; like installing a filler cap and post curing the thing. You can refer back to this post to see how I got it this far. http://samhoskins.blogspot.com/2008/06/carbon-fiber-oil-sump.html

I was able to get into the composites lab at SIU AvTech to make the final parts. I used an AN825-20D cap and an AN824-20D nut as the final fitting. I intend to insert a 1/8" welding rod as the dipstick. Thanks to Justin Mace for that idea.

After the thing was complete, I used an oven at SIU to post cure it. This particular epoxy remains quite brittle until the crosslink reaction is complete. I kept it at 140 degrees for 10 hours, then ramped it up to 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. This oven has a precise thermostat and a circulating fan. As you can see, it just barely fit!

After I fabricate the dipstick I'll have to shorten the oil sump suction tube. Then it'll be time to bolt it up and add oil!

I sure hope it doesn't leak.




No comments: