Wednesday, December 03, 2008

NOW we're making progress!!!

Here's couple of photos of both behind the scenes and the new panel. I still have another day of hooking up some of the Dynon and ICOM wires, but we're pretty much good to go.

This first photo shows the pilot's rudder pedals, the finned voltage regulator, and the blue thing is the filter capacitor. You can also see the high pressure fuel tubing and the blue return hose.


After setting the instrument panel in place and crimping on about a hundred wires (well, maybe 25) I hooked up a battery and connected power. At first nothing worked. Couldn't get the master switch to operate.

Oh yea. I have to hook up the instrument panel ground plug. Still nothing worked.

Oh yea. I have to hook up the fat engine ground wire. Still nothing worked.

Oh yea. I have to hook up those five other grounds. (I'll have to get a photo of the forest of ground tabs).

Still...

Found a broken wire on the switch that goes to the master solenoid.

NOW SOMETHING WORKS!!!!

I was able to switch on the master and run some fuel pumps and the strobe lights. But, I couldn't get the main distribution bus to run on it's own. No nav lights either.

But, the nav lights are on the same bus as the strobe. Damn. I hope I wired up that bridge diode correctly. Checked it out and it seems okay, but maybe I drew the diode in backwards and wired it according to the drawing . Let's take the meter and work backwards to see where power is feeding from.

Oops! I forgot to install the fuse for both the bus and for the nav lights.

Now EVERYTHING works! Well, everything meaning everything that's hooked up. So, in a couple of days I should be able to start working on the installation in earnest.

Thank God I didn't let any smoke out of the wires.





No comments: