Friday, July 10, 2009

There is No Joy in Mudville

Rats!

I thought I had it licked. Last night I was getting roughness in the backup system and also the primary was acting up. This morning I went out early and replaced the electronic ignition spark plugs and the engine ran great in all functions! I have been doing a lot of ground running and I have seen this plug fouling before.

I put the cowling on and called the tower and told them I would like some high speed taxis, then possibly a takeoff. Everything seemed fine until I did my run-up at the end of the runway. The primary system was strong, but when I switched to the backup the engine just sputtered and died.

I ran up and down the runway a few times, then tried it again. Same thing. I tried leaning the back-up system, then richening it. Tried all sorts of throttle settings. No joy, so I taxied back to the hangar with my tail hanging between my legs.

Rats! Did I already say that?

So now, I am officially scratching my entrance in the AirVenture Cup race. We're taking the granddaughters on a little vacation today and maybe I can figure it out when I get back.

I'm dumfluxed. I need an expert to come and help me out.

See you in a week or so.

Sam

No comments: