Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Canard Spars Are Now Joined

This took longer than I expected, so what else is new?  All other prep aside, it was about 4-1/2 hours from the first cup of epoxy mixed.  I had floxed the spars together the previous day but wound up with an exotherm event. It actually pushed the spars apart a bit.  I decided that ripping it apart would have no real benefit, so I routed the gap with my Dremel and filled it with flox.


First item was to give the joint three wraps with bidirectional glass, as you can see in the drawing in my previous post. The top caps were fairly straight forward.  The bottom caps were a different matter, since there was so little clearance between the spars and the table.  I wound up laying up every five pieces on a piece of saran wrap, then transferring to the workpiece. I couldn't provide any photos of this process, since my hands were full of epoxy.

 I think it went pretty well and I got all the underside caps attached without any air bubbles. 




I finished the whole thing up by wrapping it with peel ply and aiming a couple of lamps at it to keep it warm.



I'll let it cure a couple of days, then on to fitting the foam cores.

My thanks to Pat McGuire for coming out and mixing epoxy.

No comments: