Saturday, July 19, 2008

Getting ready for paint - again

So now that I'm committed, I may as well jump in with both feet. SIU has been a great resource, and even though I'm back in my own hangar, I'm able to tap in. This time I was able to hire one of the AvTech student workers to help do my dirty work. Corey Steinkoenig has been a big help.

I had to do some clean-up inside the tail cone, to we tied it to the door and lowered the cone over Corey. That worked well - especially for me.



The rest of the day was spend preparing the fuselage for a major filling operation.





The second day, We applied the filler. We used the West system with the slow hardener. Good thing, since the temperature was 95 degrees F in the hangar. We could actually feel the micro start to exotherm as soon as it was mixed and we really had to work quickly.

The Prime Directive of the filling process is "Put it on once, sand it off once". I think we got it on thick enough.

No comments: